I thought the edges of the reverse curve could do with a bit of a stretch so I used the classic lump of wood in a vice approach. Due to the malleability of the metal, only a gentle tap was needed to get the stretch to form.
To even out, stretch and smooth the inner section of the reverse curve, I decided to see how an English wheel would affect the material. I swapped out the bottom wheel for another with a higher crown, the highest crown available as this is a small piece of metal so I wanted a minimal contact patch. After only a few light passes through the English wheel, the central arc was widened, smoothed and slightly more aligned. I began to work on stretching and forming the metal using various metal anvil-like objects that were scattered around the workshop. Got up to this stage when I was informed that there was staff CNC training so I had to leave. Will hammer out the final parts another day.
Comments
Post a Comment